Midcoast Area Events
Friday 13 October -
Friday 20 October 2017
'Imagine all the people living life in peace'
* Friday October 13 Soup & Suspense 1 pm Former homicide detective reads from his Beneath the Depths novel. Homemade soups available. Suggested donation $8. Vose Library, Union. J.L. Dog Rock WRFR 3-6 pm Drew spins from his extensive library of thousands of songs. Paint Night 6-8 pm Caitlin Meservey leads class in Autumn Path piece. $35. The Art Loft, Rockland. 200-7915. Vicky Andres & Life Itself 7 pm Trio delivers an edgy hybrid performance blending alternative, rock and funk. Free at Rock City Café. 594-4123. Seth Glier 7:30 pm Folk and pop singer/songwriter and activist at The Strand Theatre, Rockland. $15/$18 at door. rocklandstrand.com. Sultans of String 7:30 pm Musical fusion celebration in genre-hopping show. Camden Opera House. $18/$22 at door. 536-5850 or camdenoperahouse.com.
* Saturday October 14 Hope Open House 9 am-1 pm Historical Society sells pies and homemade baked beans. Quilt raffle tix. Also Saturday, Oct. 21 and 28. The Flipside WRFR 6-7 pm Listen to sound recordings from Spike Hyssong’s inner sanctum. Vinyl, 16-inch radio transcriptions, reel-to-reel and more. Nancy Jones & Lora Stanchfield 6 pm Sing country, folk and oldies at St. George Café, Warren. Will Brown & David Foley 7 pm Local musicians play Celtic, Breton and transatlantic tunes. Free at Rock City café. 594-4123.
* Sunday October 15 Maine Pioneer Storyteller 2 pm In period costume, Jude Lamb tells the story of ancestor Eunice Lakeman Hoar, who settled at Rangeley Lake. Camden Library. US Resettlement Program 4 pm Staci Commer on What Will 2018 Look Like? Nativity Lutheran Church, 179 Old County Road., Rockport. refugeesunday.lirs.org. Strictly Fishwrap WRFR 5-6 pm Sklyar Bayer shares local and global science updates w/live and taped interviews. Science of everyday, outer space, underwater and more.
* Monday October 16 Center Must Hold WRFR 6-7 pm Weekly call-in show featuring politics & culture, local & global with Eric. Eliza Neals Band 7-10 pm Detroit Blues-Rock plays Monday Night Blues at Time Out Pub, Rockland. $15.
* Tuesday October 17 Rotary Time 3-4 pm & Happy Hour WRFR 4-6 pm Join DJ Chuckee as he travels the dark side of the Rotary with The Hits Keep Comin’, shining a light on domestic violence. Greatest Crisis Since Civil War? 7 pm Retired professor, newsman and veteran Michael Roskin on current political climate and historical tensions. Camden Library. Break the Anchor WRFR 10-11 pm Local stories and tales from far away after the moonrise. Tuesdays in English, Thursdays same time, in Portuguese, with host JB.
* Wednesday October 18 Poet Kristen Lindquist 4 pm Reads her poems, talks about the poet life and takes questions. Jackson Memorial Library, Tenant’s Harbor. Rockland Metro WRFR 5-6 pm. Lively discussion on topics of local concern. Check out The Buzz online and on newsstands around town. To join on air conversation, call 593-0013. To join the roundtable dinner symposia (limited to 12) following the show: email email@example.com. Progressions WRFR 9-11 pm Join Nick Baam for music with a progressive bent and opinion with a rock n’ roll bent.
* Thursday October 19 Gulliver’s Troubles 4 pm American University professor Gordon Adams on America First, American Leadership or One Among Many? Camden Conference program. Vose Library, Union. Owls in Maine 7 pm Audubon talk by Tom Arter on Maine’s 10 species and how they have adapted to survive. Restoring Classic Yachts 7 pm Alec Brainerd talks about rebuild of Sculpin, a 1916 Herreshoff Fish class. At Rockort Opera House in connection with Rockport Library. Taking No Chances With Grumpy WRFR 7-8 pm Join well-seasoned DJ Carl Rhode for a R&R adventure. Open Mic 7-10 pm At Gelato Rose, each Thursday. 438 Main Street, Rockland.
* Friday October 20 Trail of Terror 6-9 pm Seasonal event at Union Fairgrounds. Fridays & Saturday on Oct. 20- 21 and Oct. 27-28. Monday & Tuesday, Oct. 30-31. 785-3044. “Delicious” Story Slam 6 pm Taste variety of apples followed by 5 storytellers. $15. Hope Orchards. sweettreearts.org. Maritime Search & Rescue 7 pm Retired Coast Guard captain, David Gardner on what happens when a May Day call comes in. Maine Lighthouse Museum, Rockland.
Submit Events to WRFRevents@gmail.com
Thanks to Teresa for Making this Calendar!