Midcoast Area Events
Friday 17 November -
Friday 24 November 2017
'Imagine all the people living life in peace'
* Friday November 17 Holiday Art Reception 5-8 pm Reception for artists in new holiday show Provenance. Kelpie Gallery, Route 73, South Thomaston. By the Bay Trio 7 pm Vocalist Cindy Millar and jazz trio. Rock City Café, free. 594-4123. Emily Saliers 7:30 pm Indigo Girls member tours behind her debut solo album Murmuration Nation. Alt-country rocker Becky Warren opens. $30 advance/$35 door. The Strand Theatre. rocklandstrand.com.
* Saturday November 18 Lightroom Intro 9:30-11 am Karen Olson offers intro to photo editing program. Art Loft, Rockland. $45. artloftrockland.org or 200-7915. Lighthouse Keeper 11 am-Noon Ernest DeRaps, 89, on his family’s life during 50s on Monhegan Island, Fort Point, Browns Head & Herons Neck. Langlais Sculpture Preserve, Cushing. $5 donation for Georges River Land Trust. Clothed Figure Drawing 1-4 pm Tanya Harsch teaches figure drawing with clothed model. Tips on proportion, likeness, fabric & draping. Materials provide, $45. Art Loft, Rockland. $45. artloftrockland.org or 200-7915. Ale House String Band 7 pm Mandolin, cello and guitar trio. Rock City Café, free. 594-4123. New Shades of Blue 7 pm Julianne Gardner & Chris Poulin play jazz & blues. $5 donation. Gibbs Library in Washington.
* Sunday November 19 Screenprint 10 am-3 pm 8” screenprint you can use again. Images provided or bring one 6” or less in diameter, or lines of poetry. Art Loft. $45, sliding scale too. artloftrockland.org. Thanksgiving Market 11 am-3 pm Pop-up market with holiday fare and viewing of goats, puppies, peacocks, chickens & guinea fowl. Appleton Creamery. Somali Author 2 pm Abdi Nor Iftin on his escape to Kenya from war-torn childhood, winning US visa lottery against all odds & upcoming memoir. High Mountain Hall, Camden. Suggested donation, $10. email@example.com. Winter History Series 2 pm Kerry Hardy on strategic Governor Bernard roadway built in 1764 & treasure of a map from library archives. First in a series on 3rd Sundays, through April. Camden Library. CMCA Sunday Salon 3 pm Steven Matijcio, curator of Contemporary Arts Ctr. Cincinnati on getting young people off devices long enough to visit museums. CMCA, Rockland. cmcanowow.org. Wicked Good Fun 4 pm Ventriloquist act & female barbershop group Harborside Harmonies. Benefit for Community Thanksgiving dinner. Watts Hall, Thomaston.
* Monday November 20 Euphoria Mondays WRFR 10 am Returning DJ Jeremy Lee with new show featuring progressive and electronic dance music. The High Life WRFR 5-6 pm New day & time alert! Join host Larry Reeves for all things cannabis. Mississippi Heat Band 7-10 pm Plays Monday Night Blues at Time Out Pub, Rockland. $15. Open Mic 8-11 pm Join the party every Monday, no cover. Host Blind Albert. Fog Bar and Café, 328 Main St. Rockland.
* Tuesday November 21 Rotary Time 3-4 pm & Happy Hour WRFR 4-6 pm Join DJ Chuckee for Eat&Drink& on Rotary Time followed by Thanksgivingness on The Longest Hour In Radio™. 21st Century Bohemian WRFR 6-8 pm Tune into the newly expanded 2-hour show on creativity hosted by Teresa Piccari. This week, a creative roundtable on Where Creativity & Gratefulness Meet. Diplomacy in Trump Era 7 pm Former US Ambassador Laurence Pope on changing diplomacy under Trump administration. Camden Library.Tuesday Jam 7 pm Folk, country, gospel and blues players and listeners welcome to weekly session. 8 Hyler St., Thomaston. 273-2914.
* Wednesday November 22 Rockland Metro WRFR 5-6 pm. Discussion on topics of local concern. Check out The Buzz online and on newsstands around town. To join on air conversation, call 593-0013. To join the roundtable dinner symposia (limited to 12) following the show: email firstname.lastname@example.org. This week: Can A City Market Prosper in Rockland?
* Thursday November 23 Thursday Jam 6 pm Players and listeners both welcome to weekly venue. St. George River Café, Warren. Open Mic 7-10 pm At Gelato Rose, sign-up sheet circulates at 6:30. With Blind Albert. 483 Main St., Rockland.
* Friday November 24 Festival of Lights Noon Rockland’s 3-day holiday event begins with Santa arrival on US Coast Guard boat at Buoy Park, horse-drawn wagon rides & lighting of lobster trap Christmas tree at 6 pm. FestivalofLights. Paint Night 6-8 pm Justin Kinney guides class in painting Moonlight. $35 Art Loft. artloftrockland.org.
Thanks to Teresa for Making this Calendar!