Rockland Area Events
Thursday May 11 to Friday May 19
* Thursday May 11 Japanese Brush Calligraphy 6 pm Frederica Marshal leads class at Camden Library. $10. Register at email@example.com. Mushroom Foraging 6:30 pm Greg Marley talks on edible and medicinal mushrooms. Bring found mushroom and questions. Rockland Library. Free. Climate Change Forum 7-9 pm Bruce Cole presents Confessions of a Heavy Fossil Fuel User about his use reduction efforts in his Rockport household. Dylan Voorhees from Natural Resources Council of Maine will talk about their efforts and how citizens can reduce and influence all levels of government. 1st Congregational Church, 55 Elm Street, Camden, free. Forgotten Founding Father 7 pm Talk on Maj. Gen. Henry Knox, who built Montpelier. Cushing Historical Society on Hathorne Point Road.
*Friday May 12 DSLR Camera Settings 9:30-11:30 am Photographer Paula Apro instructs on camera settings. Art Loft, Rockland, $40. Register artloftrockland.org or call 200-7915. Plant Sale 3-6 pm Merryspring Nature Ctr, Camden, sells perennials and annuals. firstname.lastname@example.org Paint Night 6-8 pm Kim Nicoll guides step-by-step painting of modern bouquet. Art Loft, Rockland, $35. Register artloftrockland.org or call 200-7915. Grit & Grace 7 pm Dance students of Kinetic Energy Alive, and all ages, perform at Camden Opera House. Also on Saturday. Tickets 975-4450. kineticenergyalive.com People of Earth 7 pm Five-member band brings rock, Latin, funk & reggae groove to Rock City Café, free 594-4123.
* Saturday May 13 Pet Parade 9:30 am Spring Fling at Camden Harbor Park features Petey the PAWS dog, agility demos at 10 and Noon, field games for families and dogs at 10:30 am. pawsadoption.org. Steel House South 1-3 pm Celebrate the opening of Steele House’s 2nd building, Steel House South at 639 Main St., Rockland. Check out the new classroom, event, conference and gallery spaces Knit Yoga Bag 2-4 pm Learn to knit a bag for yoga mat using in-the-round and lace techniques. $25 Over the Rainbow Yarn, 18 School St., Rockland. 594-6060. overtherainbowyarn.com/ Kennebunk River Band 7 pm Electric Americana, Folk Rock band plays Rock City Café, free. 594-4123. Midnight Riders 9 pm Spring Fling Boogie at Myrtle Street Tavern, Rockland, free. Old soul, funk, Americana and rock.
* Sunday May 14 Treats at Union Wineries 11 am-5 pm Mother’s Day festivities at Savage Oakes and Sweetgrass Farm wineries featuring sangria iced-tea, chocolate, plants and more.
Crochet Yoga Bag 2-4 pm Learn to crochet a bag for yoga mat. In-the-round and spiraling openwork. $25. Over the Rainbow Yarn, Rockland. overtherainbowyarn.com/ Hal McIntyre Orchestra 3 pm Singer Steve Martin and 14-piece big band in a Frank Sinatra tribute. $28/$12 kids. camdenoperahouse.com or 536-5850. CMCA Sunday Salon 3 pm Artist Mark Wethli and his father, whose restoration of a Piper plane inspired the artist’s Piper Cub on display at Contemporary Art Museum, Rockland. Free with admission. cmcanow.org. Christopher Cross 7:30 pm Grammy winner makes only New England stop on his tour. The Strand Theatre, Rockland. $60 general admission/$359 VIP. rocklandstrand.com
* Monday May 15 Regina Bonelli Band Plays Monday Night Blues at Time Out Pub in Rockland. $10 cover at door.
* Tuesday May 16 Attracting Bees Noon Bee advocate and gardener, Amy Campbell discusses bee-friendly plants and importance of providing pollen and nectar from early spring to late fall. Merryspring Nature Ctr, Camden. $5/Members free. 236-2239. Beginner Knitting 6-8 pm Learn chart reading, picking up dropped stitches and tinking. $25. Over the Rainbow Yarn, Rockland. overtherainbowyarn.com/ or 594-6060. All About Bluebirds 6:30 pm Jeff Nims tells how to save baby bluebirds and swallows from blowflies. Donations accepted. Coastal Islands Wildlife Refuge, Rockland. Spring Choral 6:30 pm Free public concert at Camden High School performed by its Chorale, Women’s Choir and Chamber singers. Also, student-led ensembles.
* Wednesday May 17 Violence Alternatives 11 am-3 pm Info and free public luncheon for volunteers who want to teach inmates how to resolve conflicts peacefully. Maine State Prison, Warren. Call 594-5877 for more info. Rockland Metro WRFR 5-6 pm Show discussion topic on A New Bridge. Dinner symposium follows. To reserve a place: email@example.com.
* Thursday May 18 Malawi Talk 7 pm Argy Nestor and Lindsay Pinchbeck talk about their recent educational trip to rural Malawi. Camden Library.
* Friday May 19 Union Farmer’s Market 3-6 pm Opening day festivities include birdhouse building for kids, basket weaving demo and music by The Rusty Hinges. Union Common. Ale House String Band 6 pm Chamber folk music at Rockport Opera House. $30/$10 under 25. baychamberconcerts.org/ By the Bay 7 pm Jazz trio plays American songbook and Latin rhythm standards. Rock City Café, free. 594-4123. Drawing Succulents 6-8 pm Kim Nicoll teaches pen & ink drawings of succulents and cactus. $25 Art Loft, Rockland. Register artloftrockland.org or call 200-7915.
Submit Events to WRFRevents@gmail.com